Friday, June 3, 2011

Two Weeks Already??!!???

I cannot believe we have been home two weeks.  The time has flown by.  Maybe because life and the little routines of home have distracted me and kept me going at  whirlwind speed.

First, let me give some updates that were left unresolved.

When we were leaving Cali, we found out that the Italian couple whose adoption had been disrupted, were given another referral and this time it was a girl.  I was so happy for them.  I only wish I would have gotten their information before we left so I could see them with their daughter.  I had prayed for God to send them a daughter because they did so well with my girls.  I pray they are doing well and on their way home to Italy with their little girl.

Stefania and Natalia's ears were pierced.  Natalia turned out to be the one screaming bloody murder in the mall and if she loses these earrings, that's it, I am not piercing her ears again.  Stefania looks like a beautiful little girl with her earrings.  No more "cute boy". 

Stefania is gaining weight like a good American.  "Chumpy cheeks" like Iliana says.  The girl can eat.  She loves to eat.  She has mastered eating Cheerios and has graduated to rice.  She choked on a grain of rice in Cali.  She didn't know how to chew.  Now she could cut steak with her sharp knives, I mean teeth and she has about 4 more coming in. 

Stefania has learned to stand.  This is a baby that a month ago could only do a commando crawl.  She now crawls faster than Tommy my turtle (who is quite fast for those who don't know him).  And the day before yesterday, she stood up in her playpen.  We were in shock and so was she, but she was so proud.  We all cheered for a good two minutes.  

We got our first visit from our adoption agency just to see how we are adjusting.  Super easily.  I can't tell you how easy Stefania is.  The only problem I have is that she likes to have a bottle in the middle of the night.  Other than that, she is so easy.  She is such a happy baby.  She smiles all the time.  She loves to laugh and laughs easily.  I can't believe she is mine.  I fall more in love with her everyday. 

People ask me about adoption.  I can only speak for us as a family and me personally.  I am so happy we have Stefania.  Just like when Iliana and Natalia were born, I can't remember my life before they were here.  It's as if they were always here.  It is a personal decision but there are so many children who need parents.  If you are really thinking about it, please contact me and ask me anything.  I feel like this experience has awakened the advocate in me.  I am applying to become an advocate for foster children in my county.  It is a volunteer position and I will be assigned one child but that one child will have my undivided attention and concern.  The program is called CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate) and taken from the website:

Advocating for the best interest of a child, a trained CASA provides a judge with carefully researched details about the child to help the court make a sound decision about that child's future. He or she recommends to the Judge what the child needs to be safe and what is in the best interest for a permanent home. The CASA makes recommendations to the judge in the form of a report, attends the child’s hearings and follows through on the case until it is permanently resolved.

There are so many ways people can volunteer without adopting.  Another program I would love to get involved with when my daughters are older, is KIDSAVEIt is a program where many older children who would not otherwise get adopted, can come to the United States for the summer and have sponsors,  who in turn work hard to find a family to adopt them while showing them a good time.  Go to www.kidsave.org as they are still looking for some host families for this summer.  


Well this will probably be my last post on this blog.  This was about our journey to Stefania.  I wanted her to have a written account of our time getting her and now that she is here, I have NO TIME to write more. (I hardly run anymore and as a result I am getting flabby).

I thank everyone so much for all of their support and love. It meant so much to us and we are forever grateful.


With much love,
The Cordero Perez family
Aimee, Angel, Iliana, Natalia and Stefania


Now if Angel gives in and gives me child # 4 then I will start another blog one day:)

1 comment:

  1. Well, I will miss reading your blog. I am so glad to hear how fast Stephanie has adjusted to you and your family. The news of her hitting her milestones like standing and using and picking up Cheerios makes me want to cheer, too!

    ReplyDelete