Friday, April 22, 2011

One More Week

In one week, Stefania will be in our arms and we will be a family of five!  In the meantime, I have a gazillion things to pack.  Yesterday I got a few school supplies for the elementary school that they have at the orphanage where Stefania currently lives.  Iliana liked helping me get pens, pencils, erasers, crayons, highlighters, construction paper, a stapler for the teacher, pink pens (I am not sure how useful that will be in school but Iliana liked them).  We take it for granted how easy it is for us to get these items at the Dollar Store or Walmart, etc.  here in the States.  Not to say it is difficult in Colombia but I do know we can get things pretty cheap over here.  Plus, I am trying to teach my girls the importance of giving to others.  Iliana and Natalia also got some new clothes for some of the babies in the orphanage as well as socks for kids their age for school.  I also packed the gifts I got for the orphanage staff.  After talking with some of my friends from South America and one of the coordinators in Bogota, I am taking lotion from Bed, Bath and Beyond, a few picture frames, and little notebooks and notepads.  It is just a token of thanks.  I hope they like it.  The coordinator asked for paperbacks in English so that was easy.  We have a medium sized suitcase of donations. 

Now it is on to our clothes and toys for the month.  Yes, I am taking some toys because I will have three babies and I heard it has been raining non stop.  I would hate for bored girls in the hotel.  That leads to naughty girls who drive their parents crazy. Angel wants us to keep it to 2 suitcases for 5 people for a month.  HA! Clearly he is not packing.

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy for you. I think it's your example is so powerful. You are teaching the girls that there are people who are less fortunate AND actually helping them.

    ReplyDelete