Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Bogota

I am so sorry I haven't had a chance to update the blog since I've been in Bogota.  We've been moving around until we settled in a 2 bedroom apartment. 

Bogota is a huge metropolis.  And I know big cities because I am from NYC. It has over 8,000,000 inhabitants from all socio-economic walks of life.  I have been fortunate to stay at two very high end neighborhoods in Bogota. 

Today I went to the U.S. Embasssy with Stefania and our local agency rep Manuela, and my goodness it is huge.  Not only that, the lines!!!  I got to go to the front of the line because I am a U.S. Citizen but my goodnes it was so big, it was like an open air arena.  And my people, it is outside!  You go up to a window where the workers are all nice and cozy from the elements while you shiver outside talking to them through a phone as if you were visiting someone in prison.  There was some mix up and apparently adoption visas are from 8-11am and we thought it was from 11am to 2pm.  Fortunately they took us but we were scolded like little kids and I hate the fact that I was chastised by my fellow U.S. citizens.  Until now throught the process, Colombians have been professional and wonderful to us and helpful in everyway possible.  The last person who finally attended us was very nice and he helped make my experience better.   

While I suffered in the cold with poor Stefania who did outstanding, Angel took the older girls to a place called Divercity which sounds the like the best thing ever.  Children get to go into a city run by children for children.  They all go "shopping" in stores and the great thing is no adults are allowed in each store or attraction.
 They pay with pretend money and credit cards.  They go to "schools" to learn how to be vets, etc.


This is a real dog they are working on.  They listened to his heart.

They rode around on a bus with a kid who was the "bus driver" and the driver drops them off at various stops.

Girls working on the farm and milking the cow.

  They come out in fashion shows, and in the end they can cash out their pretend money from various jobs they've worked for prizes. 


                                          My girls chose to get a manicure.  Are they Latina or what?


                                          My baby was so tired after all that work.  She is still napping.


We pick up our visa tomorrow at 4pm and then we are free to GO HOME!!!  We have to see about changing our plane tickets and hope we can get home ASAP.  Pray we can change our tickets and be home by the weekend. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Aimee! Can't wait to meet her. BTW, Binghamton has something called BizTown, that is exactly like Divercity. Jae, loved it when he was a kid. I'll be praying your travel plans work out. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, Divercity sounds incredible. I'm glad they were able to enjoy themselves. It's good to hear everything worked out. Have a safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete