Friday, May 6, 2011

Visit to Chiquitines

I have been meaning to write the past few days but it has been a little emotional and overwhelming. 

Being in an adoption hotel has its advantages, but it also has its disadvantages.  Since we are a bunch of families from all over the world coming to adopt, we are here together sharing joys and heartaches.  Yesterday was heartache.  A couple had come to adopt a 4 year old boy.  They arrived same time as us and we bonded.  Unfortunately, the boy was not adapting well.  He played well with children but he seemed delayed and unresponsive to his "adoptive" parents.  Things didn't work out and the adoption was interrupted.  He was taken back to his foster home and the couple were left with a lot of unknowns.  The cries from that mother were heart wrenching.  I cried  for the couple, for the boy who had not been diagnosed properly and was not ready and for Iliana who wondered why her friend was gone.  I told her he went to his family and left it at that.  I wanted to take the boy home like I do all the kids.  Fortunately because it was not the couple's fault but that of the Colombian child protective services, they may get another child referral next week.  They are such loving, caring people and I know a child will be so lucky to have them as parents. 

Today we went back to Chiquitines to see where Stefania lived her whole little life until last week.  Well the place is beautiful and well run.  The staff are phenomenal and caring.  The children were happy as they can be without forever families.  Iliana did great talking to the kids her age and wanted to stay and play because they have a great playground and swimming pool.  However, Natalia and Stefania did not do so well.  Natalia felt insecure and clung to Angel and me.  Stefania shook her head "no" from the time we walked in to the area where she used to live.  She would cry whenever she went near a caretaker.  I think she thought we might leave her.  When we left, Stefania had a fever.  She has been sick all day since we came back.  I don't know if it's coincidence or what, but she hasn't been sick until today.

The kids are like children anywhere, happy, playing and they waved goodbye to me.  Two came to the car to say goodbye.  I wanted to bring them all home.  God it seems so unfair that there are so many children without families.  The good thing is most of these children will find homes and be adopted.  I just think about the ones who aren't.

Stefania's old room.


This was Stefania's old crib.  It was taken over by Valentina.  Now the crazy thing is we thought about giving Stefania the middle name of Valentina after me because Valentin is my mother's maiden name or my second last name.

Iliana found a baby named Iliana too and was playing with her.


Saying goodbye to three little girls who were playing with Iliana.

We met Stefania's physical therapist and she said Stefania just needs to play with her sisters.  She will catch up in no time.  She is a little delayed in gross motor skills but that is typical for babies who come from orphanages.

I boo hooed the whole way home. 
I feel guilty for having "so many" children when couples struggle to have one.  The couple with the interrupted adoption have been waiting five years.  Paperwork is necessary to ensure safety measures, I understand that but sometimes it seems so unfair.

On a brighter note, two more families here officially adopted their children and there was a nice party today.

Juan David is going to the Netherlands with his wonderful parents.  He is Iliana's age.

Kaia is going home to Norway with her lucky parents.  She is their first child as well as well as Juan David.  Did I mention both kids are gorgeous?!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! I really hope that everything works out for the couple you wrote about. So sad.

    I'm glad the orphanage was well run. It's so good to hear that the staff was very caring.

    I hope Stephania feels better! I'm glad that she is bonding with the girls!

    ReplyDelete